The Downside of Freelancing
The adage is that freelancers spend 80% of their time seeking work and actually completing assignments the other 20% of the time. Of late, my life seems to be more 95%-5% as several projects of mine have been unexpectedly postponed, leaving me to find replacement assignments.
Since falling into the fulltime freelance life in August 2007, this is the first serious dry spell I’ve encountered so I’m in very new territory.
The problem is, publishing – comics or books – does not work terribly quickly. I went from being booked solid through April to suddenly learning in March things were slowing down to a crawl and then stopping. Not only does this mean the cash flow dries to a trickle, it is also a kick to a person’s self-esteem.
A publisher I began discussing a project with in December has been AWOL ever since. A book editor I pitched something to in March has yet to rely to the notion despite discussing it with him prior to the formal pitch. In April, sent off a Young Adult novel proposal and the editor has yet to respond.
And since I have returned from Spain, I have been working on three different graphic novel ideas for publishers I met over there. They want to see a synopsis, character designs and 3-4 pages of storytelling. So, step one is whipping up a synopsis then working with my Spanish host, Edu Alpuente, on lining up an appropriate artist. Then come the character designs – but artist A suddenly got a paying assignment so work on the storytelling is relegated to the back burner. On the second pitch, the same artist is involved since it was his idea. On the third pitch, the character designs from Artist B are finally tweaked and today I’ll write the sample script pages after spending yesterday taking the synopsis and breaking it down to 46 pages.
As you know, we continue to try and raise money to get ReDeus off the ground in July. I have other pitches with other people and the law of averages says that things should be turning around sooner than later so I remain cautiously optimistic that life will improve.