It has to have been a year or so back when Mike Friedman reached out to me and Paul Kupperberg. “Guys,” he said, “I’m thinking of creating a prose superhero universe.” When we couldn’t talk him out of it, we provided feedback on his premise, ensuring it didn’t resemble the plethora of existing shared superhero universes that have proliferated in the last forty years.
Then he invited us to come play. After successfully Kickstarting the project last year, the fruits of our collective labors are about to be unleashed on an unsuspecting readership. The Phenomenons: Every Human Creature introduces you to characters including Black Hat, Colosa & Particula, the Grey Guardsman, Lipstick Lilly, Luminosity, null, Professor Paracelsus, the Ramblers, Sarcastic Fringehead, Syntax, Torque, and Zig Zag.
Contained within the 18 stories are mini-crossovers and hints at the larger world. My own contribution is giving the universe their own version of S.H.I.E.L.D. crossed with the Probe Control agents from my beloved Search television series. Unlike either, these guys are a federal agency and on a budget.
My story crosses over with the ones by Aaron Rosenberg and Glenn Hauman and we had several fun conversations working out the particulars and then reading one another’s works, smoothing things out so should read seamlessly.
It should be noted that this will be the first C8 release to feature the entire current lineup of authors. This book is also one of the many projects I wrote about recently and it’s nice to have it coming out. Those us involved in the book are very proud of it and once the backers get their books, the rest of the world can see for themselves. Pre-orders for the eBook are now being taken and both digital and print editions will be out March 1.
Here’s the table of contents:
- “Salvaged” by Michael Jan Friedman
- “Salt for Gold” by Mary Fan
- “The Light Shines in the Darkness” by Keith R.A. DeCandido
- “Red Sky in Mourning” by Michael A. Burstein
- “Stealing Home” by Aaron Rosenberg
- “First Op” by Robert Greenberger
- “<null>” by Glenn Hauman
- “The Primacy of Gravity” by Paul Kupperberg
- “Taking Charge” by Heather E. Hutsell
- “Tiny Lives Writ Large” by Dan Hernandez
- “The Jungle” by Ron Marz
- “Going for the Gold” by Peter David
- “Lipstick Lilly versus Electric Lady in the ‘Land” by Marie Vibbert
- “Dheeb” by Ilsa J. Bick
- “ROI, Part 1: Pigs in a Blanket” by Russ Colchamiro & Hildy Silverman
- “ROI, Part 2: Feint of Heart” by Russ Colchamiro & Hildy Silverman
- “The Last Rambler” by Geoffrey Thorne
- “The Return” by Michael Jan Friedman
#Tags: Aaron Rosenberg, Dan Hernandez, Geoffrey Thorne, Glenn Hauman, Heather E. Hutsell, Hildy Silverman, Ilsa J- Bick, Keith DeCandido, Kickstarter, Marie Lillian Vibbert, Mary Fan, Michael A- Burstein, Michael Jan Friedman, Paul Kupperberg, Peter David, Ron Marz, Russ Colchamiro, The Phenomenons